Friday, July 25, 2014

"My Lesson I Learned" by Student K.

My first lesson in paying bills on time came when I was eighteen years old. When I got my first apartment at 3751 Shreve Ave, I had been working at Walgreens for only about 10 months. After a month of living in my apartment, it was time to pay bills. I did not realize that you need to pay them in full and pay them on time until my lights got shut off. I came home from work and it was dark outside and I noticed that my light above my front door was not on. I went in the house and turned on the light switch and still there were no lights. I called my aunt who stayed up the street from me to see if she had lights, and she did. I called Ameren Missouri to see if they had some kind of power outage in my area and they told me no. I was informed that my power was shut off due to me not having my bill paid. I was told that I was sent a disconnection notice in the mail about three days ago, I went to the mail box and found the notice saying that today was the last day to pay my bill, and if I didn’t my electricity would be cut off and I would be charged a late fee. I had no money to pay my bills because I was irresponsible, I had previously gone shopping to buy clothes for a party.

Frederick Douglass acknowledges “It had given me a view of my wretched condition, without the remedy. I opened my eyes to the horrible pit, no ladder upon which to get out. In moments of agony, I envied my fellow-slaves for their stupidity.” Like Douglass, I too experienced what it felt like to be tremendously embarrassed. Being that my lights were off, it was embarrassing to have friends and family around. This showed me the importance of being responsible. I called my aunt back to tell her what happened and I asked her will she help me pay my bill. Frederick Douglass recalls “When I went there, she was a pious, warm and tender hearted woman. There was no sorrow or suffering for which she had not a tear. She had bread for the hungry, clothes for the naked, and comfort for every mourner that came with in her reach.” Douglass’s mistresses selfish less ways reminded me of my aunt. My aunt had no problem giving the money to pay my bill she was always there when I needed her. She was the person that everybody could go and will get anything from her for help; she also gives me some advice, telling me that nothing is more important than paying my bills on time and in full. She continued to say” once you get your lights cut off it will be hard for you to catch back up to your current bill. You will need to pay the bill in full along with a late fee and you will be paying the next month bill too that will cost you more than you expected to pay.” 

Frederick Douglass explains “Anything no matter what to get rid of thinking it was this everlasting thinking of my condition that tormented me. There was no getting rid of it. It pressed upon me by every object within sight or hearing animate or un-animate.” With the thought of my lights being cut off It was so depressing that no matter what I tried to do or even sleep I just continue to have nightmares of me trying to turn on my light switch and still there no lights. After this ordeal I felt like I wanted to move back home with my mother and not have to pay any bills but just give her a little money for me staying with her.

Now that I have learned a good lesson in paying my bills I would do things different. I can write out a budget list on all the important bills that need to be paid first in the beginning of the month which will be my rent, gas bill, light bill, house hold items, and food. And then if I have extra money left over I will be able to shop for clothes and entertain my- self. I have been in my apartment now for over a year and I have been paying all of my bills on time and in full and I never had my lights being shut off again. So throughout the years of paying my bills on time this and made me learn that this is the wise and smart way to live.

Now that everything is under control with my bills I can relax. I’m in my bathroom with the sound of running water getting ready to take my bath with smell of bubbly shower jell of green apple and cherries; with the touch of the warm water feeling like I’m ready to fall asleep and with the taste of a glass of sparkling water with cherries and lime; by the side of burning candles smelling like a bed of roses; with the sound of Barry White making me want to sleep good tonight.






[MG1]

No comments:

Post a Comment