Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"Karen Hendrix: A Wonderful Person" by Charles Lockhart


Karen Hendrix is at the time of this profile a student at Forest Park Community College. She has decided to major in Culinary Arts because she loves to cook for others. In addition Karen has obtained certification in carpentry, hair care, as well as certification as a nurses’ assistant. Karen has studied a number of professions for a variety of reasons, I think it’s because she likes to help others for all her interests seem to evolve into helping others in some form or fashion. Karen’s latest job at Barns Hospital was as a Patient Care Giver, which she has retired from. Karen says, “Being away from school for 31 years then trying to get back into the swing of things is a difficult task but I want a new career something I can work at my own pace.” She said, “I think catering will fit perfectly as what I am looking for because I love to cook…..a lot”. I asked, besides catering is there any other career you would be interested in? She responded by saying, “Yes, I would love to teach young girls gymnastics.” I asked “Why and why to young girls only?” She said, “Young girls have a certain type of spirit that makes working with them fun and exciting also, it has been proven that the young have bodies that heal faster.

Karen is single; she has no children which gives her a lot of freedom and extra time. As a result she uses that time to read and play games on her android device. Besides reading and playing games Karen enjoys R&B music by artists such as: Luther Vandross, The Temptations, and Patty Labelle.

Karen likes body art and one day wants to sport a tattoo of a dragonfly that has a lot of colors in it. Karen doesn’t own any pets however, she feels that Parakeets do make good pets because they sing for you. When I asked Karen what her favorite possession is she said, “My television be cause, I like to watch reruns of my favorite T.V. shows.” Those T.V. show are: I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, and Gilligan’s Island to name a few.

I asked Karen who her role model was, she said, “My mother is my role model because she took good care of me, protected me as well as, taught me right from wrong in addition my mother gave me my nick-name, Carrie.” I also asked Karen what she missed about her adolescent years? This is what she said, “What I miss about my child hood is the lack of things I was responsible for particularly paying bills, going to work daily, and keeping things in their perspective.”

The unique thing about Karen is that she seems motivated to do for others, a motivation that is instilled in her. This is something that I believe she inherited from her mother during her impressionable years. Karen is also proud to be a student at Saint Louis Community College at Forrest Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment