Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"A Man of his Word" by Robin Keeney

My first year of college was kind of scary and hard attendance wise, but as a result we had to research a classmate. My teacher picked me out the quietest person in the classroom, during this experience I’ve learned a lot about what we had in common and what are differences where. Just a week ago in summer school I met a man named Robert mull. Robert is 31 years old, and resides on the Westside, known for Westside, The Best Side. Robert was born on July 31, 1982, as well as my younger sister and grandfather, same day, different years in St. Louis Mo, “The Show Me State” says Robert. Growing up, he would answer to Lee Lee. He grew up with two brothers and one sister. Later on attended Vashon High School and graduated with a diploma in 2009, In addition was in the checker club, loved Tom and Jerry, and loved taking cat naps during class. In Robert’s words “I admire my mother for all she did for me and raising me the best she could”. However while growing up; taking care of his siblings was a challenge for him. In addition, I also grew up taking care of my siblings including my daughter. While attending college with him, succeeding in his own business is very easy. “When it comes to owning your own business I’m the man”. Robert is attending college for business and administration. In addition, Robert works for a Tree Company, while trying to earn his degree. Aside from all the hard work in college, Robert has a nine year old son Robert Jr. “Nothing in the world would stop me from providing for my son”. As a result, there are responsibilities that need to and have already been taken care of. Robert and I come from a two different backgrounds, but as well as the same backgrounds. We are African American, lived in the city our whole life and graduated from a city high school. What I learned about Robert is that he is really shy to new face and people and does not like being talked down to if he doesn’t know you. I actually have the same thought about that because of the simple fact that if you do not know me, do not talk to me like you do therefore stay in the boundary range. We are two different ages but know how it is to live a normal and hard life. One shocking detail Robert gave to me was that if his Business career did not succeed he would pursue his dream of becoming a teacher. Quote on quote, Robert says, “I want to teach students the correct way of learning, so it would be less drop outs, maybe they could learn from my mistakes.” In the interview I asked Robert, “What do you miss most about your childhood?” Replying, “My responsibilities”, said Robert. His life was a little easier being a kid, as a grown up children, bills, school, a job, which is a lot to juggle. Finally I learned Remember that every path walked is walked for a reason, and every day is full of blessings no matter how BIG or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment