Friday, February 21, 2014

Letter to a Young English 030 Student by Erica Anderson


This is an open letter to all future English 030 students at Forest Park. Fall 2012.


November 30, 2012

Dear New 030 Students:



Hello and welcome, my name is Erica Anderson, a former student of English 030 and I would like to share a little bit of my story, which is probably similar to some of you in here now. I got pregnant in my senior year 1988-89 and dropped out. I was two credits short of graduation and decided that full time motherhood was my job. In 1991 I decided that it was time to do something with my life. I took my GED and scored so high that I received admissions and a scholarship to Saint Louis University School of Nursing. August 1991 I started my first semester and was very excited about the new chapter in my life. I was on my way to becoming Nurse Erica. As the semester was coming to a close, two bombshells changed my life forever. I was pregnant again and my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. So there I was, twenty-one with a child and another one the way. I finished the semester and forgot about school, allowing life to pass me by doing little odd jobs, until June 2012. At the age of forty-one I decided to get my feet wet with just two classes in the summer at Forest Park Community College to see how I would fit in. I liked it so much that I decided to re-enroll for the fall as a full time student. This is how I became a 030 student. I know you are wondering “Why is she telling me this?” I said all of that to show you how I got distracted and unattached from my plans.

I wish I had someone twenty-three years ago to keep pushing me to continue, even with two children and a cancer stricken parent, or even to say everything will be okay. To be a successful student in any class you have to be committed and dedicated to the task in front of you, your education. Your education is your personal key to unlock so many opportunities and benefits throughout your life. On the first day or any day, do not be afraid to ask questions. Most people have the mind set of "I’m not asking questions, someone will ask and get the answer for me." You have to be the captain of your own ship”.

The teachers here at Forest Park are different than high school; actually they are addressed as professor or Dr. They are here for YOU! To challenge you, equip you, and to instruct you. If you have concerns about your class do not hesitate to address it properly: go to the teacher at the appointed time that will be located on your syllabus. Your syllabus is what the instructor will give you the first day of class; keep up with every document that is given to you until you are finished with that class. Get a study partner or someone that you can get information from if you miss class, always check Blackboard: the information website that everybody use to keep up with grades, emails from professors or other students. Always take your education seriously, I cannot stress this enough.

In this class you will have to really look at yourself through your writing and sometimes that can be very challenging. This technique allows you to test your capabilities and strive to become a better writer, taking you on a journey, allowing you to freely express yourself through writing, and captivate the attention of the audience. It is amazing to write your thoughts down and have someone read it, understand it and feel where you are coming from. This is what this class will show you how to do. Looking back over my sixteen weeks this class taught me a lot about myself and challenged me to write outside of my comfort zone, and how to embrace constructive criticism about my writing. I am very proud of myself as well as appreciative my professor. I still have a way to go but I had to start somewhere and 030 was the perfect place to do so.

While you embark on your journey I hope that if you take anything from this letter it is the importance of your education and to ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Make sure you keep up with your assignments and attendance because that is very essential to your grades in all classes. You should always be respectful of the instructor’s policy concerning the class.

I want to encourage you on your new chapter in life and say, if no one has said it to you, I want you to know that I am very proud of you for making an enormous step towards your future, I hope you have a plan, if not it’s not too late, and stay focused on the education. I hope that along the way you will meet people who will continue to stress the importance of the road you’re traveling. I know that you will be successful in all that you do. When you start class have an opened heart and a ready mind to be able to reach the achievements that you have set for yourself. Never give up on yourself, even when everybody else has.

As I come to a close I again want to say thank you for allowing me to share my story and give insight and I hope you embrace where you are in life right now because this is your time to shine, and I know with the right attitude and motivation will take you places you could never imagine doors opening and becoming a productive person of society. You are building your future with your mind and education is how you strengthen it by exercising your brain daily with things that will edify you to another level of learning. I know you are going to make it through 030 with flying colors so buckle up and enjoy the ride. I am rooting for you!

Sincerely,
Erica 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a former FP English Prof who wrote many "how to" handouts for students that are still available (I think) in the Writing Center. I want to compliment you on a terrific ENG 030 essay and to endorse every word you said, especially about the need to make a "personal commitment" (as you put it) to each class and to ASK QUESTIONS about anything that is perplexing or unclear--in class or during office hours. A good teacher is going to be impressed, not put off, by a student who cares enough to follow thought like that. Congratulations on coming back to school! You're on your way! Carol Niederlander

    ReplyDelete