Friday, August 1, 2014

The Frugal Shopaholic by R. Brooks


If I could chose something interesting about my personality, it would be my near-addictive pattern of shopping. I am a shopaholic, if you would like a label. I thoroughly enjoy walking through every single aisle looking at all the items I could buy if I had more money. It is exhilarating to me… it is most closely related to an adrenaline rush. I could browse for hours just to find that perfect item to go home with me. I am not picky either. I love shopping for clothes, shoes, organizational items for my home, and really anything else I feel that I can use! I pick and choose the perfect outfits that would flatter my figure. I like trying on as many shoes as I can: flats, sandals, high-heels, and boots. I feel like shopping truly calms me down. I ignore all other distractions while I am shopping. When I am in the stores, I will not talk to anyone. I am notorious for shutting my phone off or ignoring calls while I am browsing the aisles; it is just me and the merchandise I have to select from. For a moment, in my extremely busy life, I have some peace and quiet. Nothing can get in the way of me and that perfect item!


That is… until I get to the register. I forgot to mention, I am one of the most frugal people you will ever meet. I absolutely HATE spending money! It literally makes me sick to my stomach when I swipe my debit card at the register. I hate how you can get three items at a store, still spend over fifty dollars, and yet, they are able to fit in a tiny bag. I have made restrictions on the amount I will pay for certain items of clothing, and if I spend even a dollar over, I get very upset. I have found creative ways to avoid my impulsive spending habits. I keep myself busy so that I have no time to shop. I will also “lose” my debit card deliberately so that I have no way to spend money. My debit card is lost right now, in fact. 



I know it seems like these two parts of me couldn’t possibly go together. And often times, I am most definitely fighting myself with my “spend!” or “save!” mentality. But all in all, I have it worked out pretty well. On my everyday shopping, I refuse to pay full price. As often as I can, I extreme coupon. This helps me save enough money to “reward” myself with something nice. Once a year, though I want to much more often than that, I splurge on myself; I always get two pairs of shoes and three outfits for myself just for staying within budget all year. During the year, I make myself believe all the necessities are actually fun to shop for… you would never guess how fun it is to buy toilet paper in my house! I recognize that my personality clashes; however, it does so perfectly! You can call me “The Frugal Shopaholic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment